Sunday, September 30, 2007

WANKER STATUS

This Zook is a bit of a wanker, eh? found here

Whatever their faults and vices, the Amish communities have a
couple of enormous strengths it more worthy of study than
contempt.


My contempt over forgiveness isn't about the Amish. It's appropriate that forgiveness was a part of the narrative for the Amish in response to the Nickel Mines tragedy. But their use of the word forgiveness was a poor choice to honor what their faith asks of them, not that it mattered for them. They knew what actions their faith expected of them, and they executed.
The issue is, why did the non-Amish community latch onto the word forgiveness, and attribute meaning to it without a rational examination of context, history, and whether it did justice to the intent of the user? What would have happened if the Grandfather who was asked if he had forgiven, would have first of all, chided the reporter for asking such a dramatic meaningless question? And then said; I hope, with Gods help to be able to honor what my faith asks of me, namely, to not engage in retribution or vengeance, but to act with kindness and grace towards others. I do not believe it is possible for me as a human being to fully implement this love, that was exemplified by my Lord, but none the less, I accept and embrace that I am called upon to try. As for forgiveness, If someday, my community and I can truely move beyond the hurt and loss which has been inflicted upon us, truely embrace each new day without our memories invoking pain, but only acceptance and grace, then we will be blessed beyond what I can even attempt to imagine right now. How can you taunt me of such an elusive and distant prospect in my moment of overwhelming pain and loss? (to borrow someone elses words) Have you no sense of shame? Have you no sense of decency?



No comments: