Saturday, September 29, 2007

MASTERPIECE

"The Happening" by Harvey Yoder is the most unadulterated writing on the Amish I have ever read. The beginning and the end have some mediocre to seriously problematic elements and the cover is kitsch. But, Wow! at some point the authenticity just screams off of the page and envelopes you. As you are pulled along, there is no point in which the writing becomes so obviously fake and contrived that your connection with the narrative is broken. I've never experienced that with writing about my people. I should be ambivalent about my joy in being an intimate confidant of Yoder's Huck Finn-esque portrayal of unspeakable horror, but I can't help myself. I've never felt so honored. Thank you.

More on the book and where to buy it

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Below is the link to order the book, "The Happening: Nickel Mines School Tragedy", by well-respected author for the Amish community Harvey Yoder.

http://www.thehappeningbook.com

This is the official web site to the book.