Sunday, August 5, 2007

PRO OR CON?

Readers of my posts maybe confused at times over whether I'm advocating for the Amish, or against them. Maybe I come across as disgruntled, or delighted to have gotten the hell out of there. Either position is actually okay with me because ultimately my goal for what I hope to achieve through my writing -bloging, is not to take sides, (after all I'm inherently a part of both cultures,) but to set up a couple fans whenever someone is blowing smoke.


Having been Amish, I'm aware of their flaws, but since I'm no longer Amish (at least not a member in good standing) I've no need to fix them. That dosen't mean as an American citizen I will patonizingly assume every thing the Amish do is just hunky-dory. There are points of contact between our cultures that need our clear headed attention. It isn't currently in vogue to think that the Amish need our values, but that dosen't mean we can suspend ours when we relate to them.


As an exAmish person I'm uniquely qualified to see the BS on our side that's directed at the Amish.

No comments: